Wednesday, March 25, 2009

YAY!

OH man, this morning I had my sleep study follow-up. (Boy it took longer than I thought, but that's okay.) Going over everything I'd been through....what I felt like then....made me realize how far I've come. I didn't realize it until this morning, but when I went in to the center (way back in February) I was in a bad place. Mentally I was just in a fog all the time I think - I'd get through the day but I was just SO WEARY physically that it was really affecting me mentally. I was doing my job and doing what I was supposed to, but not enjoying life at all. I would have good moments here and there, but I was just going through the motions of everything else.

I realized this morning that I've REALLY come a long way. All it took was SOME SLEEP. Now I quite literally sleep through the night and it's restful. I'm not saying everything is absolutely perfect but it's darn close. I felt like a shadow of my self and now I'm finally back to being me again!

Going through old photo albums over spring break also helped me - made me realize well, first of all, I was a darn cute kid. I was! But not just that, it made me think about my personality - I've always been a happy person. Not annoying (I hope!) perky to the point of wanting me slap me, just a genuinely happy person most of the time. Well, I was NOT that person for a loooooong time. Starting about 14 I've had sleep problems and I guess I've just taken it as part of life. Now it hasn't been horribly bad every night ever since then or anything, it just usually takes me a couple of hours to fall asleep and then I'd wake up several times. Talk about not resting!

But now with the c-pap machine, I usually go to sleep in about 30 minutes. I don't even use sleeping pills or anything! It's amazing! And the lady said today that I'll probably start losing more weight, too b/c my metabolism is "shot" b/c of the lack of sleep over all these years. Good to know - I've been SO frustrated with exercise/eating well not working and given up. Thought I was just doomed to this body.

Now I did get a few samples of Lunesta just for those nights when you know you're wound up and need to get to sleep. I've only had like 2 nights (in 6 weeks!) when I felt like I really needed something (but didn't have anything). So they gave me some samples (freebies!). Good to know they're there.

I feel like a totally renewed person. I'm so grateful for this sleep study. It was worth going to Dr. I-Have-No-Bedside-Manner to get through it. I feel like my whole body is healthier. I will still continue to take my iron protein shake, iron supplement, and multi-vitamin just to make sure my iron's up. I can really tell the difference if I slack off a couple of days on that. But the fatigue is GONE. Hopefully FOREVER!!! YAY!!!

No comments: